The students are expected to meet the demand of nation’s construction, adapt themselves to the growth of science and technology in the future and get comprehensive development in morality, knowledge and physique.
The students are expected to acquire the basic theories and systematic special knowledge in the discipline of civil engineering and receive good training in engineering practice.
The students are expected to have good academic accomplishment and the ability to solve practical engineering problems and do research work independently and creatively.
The students are expected to be up to the work concerning with the education, research, design, construction and management of civil engineering projects and other related work such as investment and development, finance and insurance, etc.
The students are expected to become high-quality professionals with the ability of continued learning, creativity, organizational and coordination skills, team spirit, international view and leadership.
The students are expected to have healthy life, physically and mentally.
Disaster prevention and mitigation engineering & protective engineering
Tunnel and underground engineering
Civil engineering construction
Civil engineering computer simulation
Harbor, coastal and offshore Engineering
The duration of the doctorial program is 4.0 years, including no more than 1 year of teaching courses, and no less than 2 years of dissertation writing. The maximum duration of the doctorial program should be no longer than 7 years.
Civil and hydraulic master degree is a professional degree of engineering related to the qualifications of civil and hydraulic industry. Civil and hydraulic engineering is a general term for the design and construction of all kinds of engineering facilities and related equipment. It refers to the object of engineering construction, and all kinds of engineering facilities built underground, above ground and in water, etc. It also refers to the materials and equipment in use and the professional skills in planning, investigation, design, construction, operation and maintenance, management, etc. Civil and hydraulic engineering is a subject group with a long history, and with the progress of social civilization and the development of science and technology. It constantly infuses new connotation and has the dual nature of theoretical science and technical science. The master of civil and hydraulic is specialized in civil engineering, water conservancy engineering, municipal engineering, surveying and mapping engineering, ventilating and air conditioning and gas engineering five fields.
The civil engineering discipline of Tongji University was first established in 1914. In 1981, the civil engineering discipline represented by structural engineering was approved by the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council to confer the first batch of master's and doctor's degrees. In 1984, the civil engineering discipline set up the first post-doctoral research mobile stations. During the evaluation of national key discipline in 2007, not only civil engineering, as a primary discipline, but also structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, bridge and tunnel engineering, and disaster prevention and reduction engineering and protective engineering, as secondary disciplines, were all granted as national key disciplines. That makes the discipline of civil engineering in Tongji became the only national key primary discipline with four national key secondary disciplines. During the evaluation by the Degree Center of MOE in 2009, 2012 and 2016, the civil engineering discipline of Tongji University was ranked the 1st place (or A+) in terms of overall performance in China. In 2017, it was selected into the national Double first-rate strategy construction discipline list. Tongji civil engineering has been ranked first in the world for three consecutive years in the Academic Ranking of World Universities（ARWU） from 2017 to 2019.
As to the socialist direction of running schools, we cultivate people with moral integrity, train socialist builders and successors with all-round development of morality, intelligence, physique, aesthetics and labor education to become the pillars of society and professional elites to lead the future.
1. The students are expected to support the leadership of the Communist Party of China, love the motherland, abides by discipline and law and has a high sense of social responsibility to serve the country and the people. Having good professional ethics and entrepreneurial spirit, scientific and rigorous, realistic and pragmatic learning attitude and work style, and have healthy life, physically and mentally.
2. Facing the needs of national strategy and future national construction, closely combined with China's economic, social and science and technology development, the students are expected to develop moral, intellectual, physical and aesthetical capabilities, have solid basic theory and professional knowledge, have outstanding practical ability and profound scientific and humanistic literacy and be qualified for complex civil engineering, municipal engineering, hydraulic engineering, HVAC and gas engineering, surveying and mapping engineering and related engineering design, construction, operations, management, cross-border development ability, and are also capable to dealing with investment, development, finance, insurance, social services and management tasks, have lifelong learning ability, innovation ability, international vision and leadership ability.
3. The students are expected to be able to use at least one foreign language.
1. The main research fields of civil engineering include: structural engineering, bridge engineering, tunnel and underground construction engineering, geotechnical engineering, disaster prevention and mitigation engineering and protection engineering, structural wind engineering, civil engineering construction, civil engineering information technology, etc.
2. The main research fields of hydraulic engineering include: hydrology and water resources, hydraulic structure engineering, port and coastal engineering, etc.
For master of civil and hydraulic engineering, the standard duration for full-time study is 2.5 years, and the maximum duration of the study is 4 years. The standard duration for part-time study is 3 years, and the maximum is 5 years.
|No.||Course Code||Course Name||Credit||Semester|
|1||2020061||Dynamics of Structures (A)||3||Autumn|
|2||2020388||Advanced Theory of Steel Structures||2||Autumn|
|3||2020418||Elasticity and Plasticity||3||Autumn|
|4||2020405||Advanced Theory of Bridge Structures||3||Autumn|
|5||2020572||Structural Rehabilitation and Strengthening||2||Autumn|
|6||2020573||Traditional Building Structures in China||2||Autumn|
|7||2020317||Advanced Rock Mechanics||2||Autumn|
|10||2020153||Advanced concrete structure theory||3||Spring|
|11||2020207||Wind Engineering for Structures||2||Spring|
|13||2020376||Advanced Structural Testing||2||Spring|
|15||2020451||Finite Element Method||2||Spring|
|16||2020472||Probability Analysis in Civil Engineering||2||Spring|
|17||2020533||Tunnel Mechanics and Engineering||2||Spring|
|18||2020542||Composite Structures I||1||Spring|
|19||2020541||Composite Structures II||1||Spring|
|20||2020509||Professional English (Full-time Professional Master Degree)||1||Spring|
Tongji University is one of the first universities in China, and is also the only university in Shanghai city, that offers geological engineering education. Tongji University established this discipline in 1952, started to enroll geotechnical engineering undergraduate students in 1958, and established the master degree station for engineering geology and hydrogeology disciplines in 1982. Tongji University established the level-2 geological engineering doctor station in 2003 and the level-1 master station of geology resources and geology engineering in 2006. In 2007 geological engineering was named the key disciplines in Shanghai while in 2009 the geological engineering discipline was appointed by the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Finance as the fourth batch of high school featured discipline establishing unit. In September 2009, the discipline was approved by the Ministry of human resources and social security to establish the level-1 geological recourses and geological engineering post-doctor research station. In 2016 the discipline was authorized by China engineering education Accreditation Association, and in 2017 Tongji University was awarded the doctoral section of level-1 geological recourses and geological engineering. According to the national high school discipline assessments (the fourth round) released by the degree and graduate students’ education development center of the Ministry of Education in December 2017, the level-1 discipline ranked B (in the top 20%~30% all over the country). According to the results from the ‘Best Chinese Subjects Rankings’ in 2018 from Shanghai Ranking Consultancy, this discipline was in the top three (the 10% in the upper ranks).
The discipline is consisted of 42 full-time teachers, including 1 academician of the Chinese Academy of engineering, 2 winners of the National Science Fund for Outstanding Young Scholars, 1 winner of the National Science Fund for Excellent Young Scholars, 2 members of the Thousand Talent Program for Young outstanding scientists and more than 10 provincial and ministerial level talents. An academic team with reasonable structure has been formed and framed by national and provincial level talents as the core members.
Based on the platform of the Geological and Underground Engineering Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education of Tongji University, the discipline’s research work covers the principle geological engineering problems in the fields of civil engineering, architecture, water conservancy, transportation, energy, materials and environment, and has undertaken a large number of national 973 plan, 863 plans, National Natural Science Foundation and many provincial key scientific research projects, with fruitful research achievements. In recent years the discipline has won more than 10 provincial and ministerial scientific and technological progress awards and the teaching achievement awards, published more than 10 scientific monographs, and published more than 100 research papers every year. The discipline also has close academic contact and frequent exchanges with internationally renowned universities and research institutes, and has carried out extensive academic exchanges and cooperation in scientific research with Japan, France, United States, Germany, Britain and other countries. The discipline emphasizes on the combination of geology, mechanics and engineering, integrates the theories with engineering practices, and adheres to the teaching features of combination of industry, teaching and researching, and collaboration with civil engineering. Since the 60's of the last century, the discipline has cultivated a large number of advanced scientific research and engineering technical personnel for the society. Due to the solid theoretical foundation, comprehensive professional knowledge, strong engineering concepts and practicing ability, and high comprehensive quality of the cultivated personnel, most of them became the principal technical backbone and management personnel in survey, design, consultation, construction companies, universities and research institutes, and won high opinions from the society. In recent years, the graduate students in our discipline has been in short supply compared with the demand.
To adhere to the socialist orientation of running schools, building morality, cultivating people and training builders and successors for the great cause of socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era.
1. To have a firm and correct political orientation, loving our socialist motherland and supporting the leadership of the Communist Party of China; to study Marxism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory, Three Represents, the scientific outlook on development and Xi Jinping's socialist ideological system with Chinese characteristics in the new era; to dedicate oneself to serving the people and striving hard for the prosperity and strength of the motherland and to abide by consciously the law and regulations and to obtain good moral characters.
2. Students that have good qualities in science area such as being practical and realistic of scientific attitude and emotion, being brave in exploring and being initiative to seek truth.
3. Students that have all round development of morality, intelligence and physique, solid theoretical foundation, professional knowledge system, outstanding practice ability, and profound science and humanistic attainments; students that are skilled in the geological engineering principles and basic methods, have ability of academic research and independently solving practical engineering problems, have received good engineering training, so as to be competent for design, construction and management of complex civil engineering projects, or to be engaged in investment and development, finance and insurance, social service and administration, with lifelong learning ability, innovation ability, international vision and leadership.
4. To Master at least one foreign language and have the ability to apply foreign languages in academic research and international academic exchanges. .
5. To be physically and mentally healthy.
1. Geolgogical engineering
2. Geodetection and information technology
3. Groundwater engineering and environment
Totally, there are 2.5 years of full-time study, among which 1-1.5 years for course study and no less than 1 year for thesis work. The maximum duration of schooling is no more than 4 years.